Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Torn Between Two Worlds

When you are culturally mixed sometimes you are torn between two competing worlds, with the chance that when you choose one world over another conflict is bound to happen. I know this well, for reasons that I often prefer not to talk to much about. Spock from the Star Trek series, to me, is a prime example of this battle of having parents from two different worlds and how one has to try and reconsile between the two. For those who don't know, Spock's mother was human and his father Vulcan. Because the cultures and the methods of thinking were so contrastingly different Spock was often caught between the need to be logical, the Vulcan side, and the emotions that existed because of the human side.

The following videos are my favorite examples of this internal battle.








2 comments:

Miriam said...

I'm sure its specifically this combination (of what you are) that Hashem wanted for the job.

Ehav Ever said...

I agree. I think the issue I had to deal with was which side I was going to have lead the way. Kind of like who is driving and who is riding shotgun.