Thursday, January 8, 2009

Tagged by Tiffany Jones

As some of you may know, I am often not into tagging. Yet, if the right friend and the right kind of tag comes along I am more than willing to do it. So this time I was tagged by Tiffany Jones of the Mulatto Diaries Blog. (She also has a Vlog here). So Tiff for you I am more than willing....here goes. I am long winded and each of my random facts are stories in themselves. (Bohemian Hippie Chick if you are reading, I know I still owe you a tag. I promise to get to it.) As all of you I am LOOOOOOOOOOOONG winded when it comes to the past, so sit back, relax, have a cup of tea or Turkish coffee. Here are some of the random Chronicles of Ehav Ever.

The Mission (aka the Rules)
1. LINK TO THE PERSON WHO TAGGED YOU
2. POST THE RULES ON YOUR BLOG
3. WRITE SIX RANDOM THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF
4. TAG SIX PEOPLE AT THE END OF YOUR POST AND LINK TO THEM
5. LET EACH PERSON KNOW THEY ARE TAGGED AND LEAVE A COMMENT ON THEIR BLOG
6. LET THE TAGGER KNOW WHEN YOUR ENTRY IS UP
7. DON’T BREAK THE CHAIN (not actually a rule)

6 Random Things About Ehav Ever



  1. Fahrenheight 451 was one of the most moving books I ever read. I could totally relate to the main character's well laid out life that was changed by his first, hidden search for truth and how he initally lost everything in the process. I read the book several times and it really opened my eyes to good liturature dealing with human choices and having to choose between what is comfortable and what is right.

  2. I pledged Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Inc. in the Fall of 1996 at Prairie View A&M University, Dangerous Delta Theta Chapter. I was #5 of 11 of the line called The Legion of Doom. My original line name was Braniac (yes they spelled it wrong on my line shirt). They said it was because I seemed like a living computer since I seemed to know something about everything. I later changed my line name to PuPPeT MaStEr, after hearing the song Puppet Master by Dr. Dre and B-Real from Cypress Hill. I liked the moniker since I was always obsessed with control. Left Phi Beta Sigma when I became religious, due to having conflicts between Sigma meetings taking place on Saturday afternoons and wanting to keep the Shabbat (Sabbath) properly. I also knew that my dedication to Phi Beta Sigma was in direct conflict with my life as a religious Jew so one day I called up a younger fraternity brother, Amen (we all called him Amen), who was the closest I ever felt to having a little brother. I gave him all of my Sigma stuff, minus the stuff that had my line information. This included Sigma history books that were about 20 years old, Sigma magazines from the 1940's, 1960's, and 1970's, etc. that I had collected in my journeys in search of Sigma history. Unfortunately, he was randomly murdered in 2005 right after he had graduated from college. I carry his picture in my wallet as a reminder of his friendship. When I first contiplated being religious and leaving Sigma behind he was the only one who really understood why. The last time I saw him was on a cold Sabbath on the Upper West Side of Manhattan. We bumped into each other after not seeing each other for months. I was leaving a Shabbat (Sabbath) dinner and he was on his way home. We agreed to call each other in about a week. He was murdered that week.

  3. I was once a part of a Kansas City, Missouri radio show called Generation Rap on KPRS The HOT 103. One of my mentors Dr. Carl Boyd, whom I have written about on this blog, hosted the show and was a good friend of my mother. When I was in high school I became involved in his youth group Generation Rap, and over time I and my friend Asayn Wyatt became regulars on the show (1992 to about 1994). I also did a birthday rap song for the radio station that they used when they called people by request for their birthdays. I think they were using the song on air in 1994. I did the music and I wrote the song. I still remember some of the song. The hook was, It's your birthday. Yeah! It's yourbirthday. Tight! And everything's going to be alright! I even remember some of the CHEESY lyrics. Woke up one morning, yawning, early dawn in Kansas City the place with no pity. Yet, today's a new day it's my birthday, and kind of like Burger King I want it my way. (Cheesy!)

  4. When I was a kid, probably 3 or 4, I trained in Karate for a while and quit. I quite Karate because I was a wimp at the time and the training seemed to hard. When I living in the Bay Area, California (1999 to 2000) I trained in Capoeira for 1 year. I left because I didn't feel like I was advancing and the people I trained with were very secreative about teaching me the songs. When I lived in NYC I trained in Krav Maga for a short time. I couldn't get into Krav Maga because I needed something that spoke more to my need for both physical and spiritual balence. I now train only in Abir, and have been doing so for about 1.5 years and I get both. I now train kids/teenagers in Maale Adummim for free. I have 2 serious students and others who pass through every once and while.

  5. I once had dreams of being involved in the music industry. I was once in a short lived KCMO rap group when I was in High School. When I say short lived, I mean SHORT LIVED. We were being used as a promotion by this supposed music label in KCMO. They were extremely shady with others, but nice to us. I left the group when I my mother got made when I refused to be involved in religious activities and was working in a rap group. I also performed once, while in college, in front of some execs from Rap-A-Lot Records in Houston. I also performed once at a talent show put on by Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, Inc. In both situations I saw how shady the music industry is, especially the rap industry, and one day when I needed money I sold my keyboard and that was it. For a number of years I had a tape with all of the songs that I worked on, I mostly did the music while in college. I made the mistake of giving the tape to someone who said they were interested in my stuff and I never got it back. I did have some songs copy written though in the 1990's. One of the songs I wrote and produced was like my signature song that was known with my friends. It was about my failed relationship with Annette Wallace and the song was called called Say What's On Your Mind. It was basically about how if she would have said how she felt from the start I wouldn't have wasted her time and my time dating her. Everyone who heard that song loved it because I sampled part of a Mary J. Bladge song, I think My Life, and an Isaac Hayes song, Walk On By. I was told that I had a way of expressing emotions in words. I also had another song that me and my friends would make up silly raps to. Part of it was a sample of I Wanna Rock With You by Michael Jacken. The song was called Glide and Swerve. I had a friend named Sean Slade who, when his part of the song came up he had just came back from class and he bust into the dorm room and started rapping. It was so funny. I recently met up with someone on my college's Alumni web-site who remembered that song.

  6. I was once into Shintoism as a kid. When I was 10 my family went to Okinawa, Japan to visit my now former stepfather who was in the Marines. While in Japan I became enamored by Japanese culture and I picked up Shintoism. Shinto (神道, Shintō?) is the native religion of Japan and was once its state religion. It is a polytheistic and animistic faith, and involves the worship of kami (神, kami?), or spirits. Some kami are local and can be regarded as the spiritual being/spirit or genius of a particular place, but others represent major natural objects and processes; for example, Amaterasu (the Sun goddess), or Mount Fuji. I left my interest in Shintoism behind when I became more interested in studying Islamic philosophical thought. I left all of that, and other stuff I had picked up along the way, behind when I returned to Judaism.

Bonus - I just had to include this story. Once when I was in college (Prairie View A&M University) there was a concert where the female singing group Jade and some other groups performed. Me and my friend Quin did not have money to go see the concert, but we decided to go behind the building where they performed and wait to see if we could meet them. We kept imagining what would happen if Jade came out and how we would play it cool, and what would happen if the singers from Jade started talking to us. We waited and waiting for a long time behind the building. We weren't alone since there were other guys who had the same idea. Right before Jade came out I kept saying I was going to keep my cool and act like I didn't know who they were. As soon as they came out me, Quinn, and the other guys jumped up in a hurry and ran towards them like a bunch of groupies.

One of the singers, the one on the right of the above photo, walked my way shook my hand and asked me, "How did you like the concert?" I was speachless......partially because she talked to me but mostly because we did not even see the concert. I responded, "The concert was great. You make me weak at the knees. Oh wait a minute! Wrong singing group." She had this surprissed look on her face and then she walked away laughing. Weak at the Knees was a song by another R&B group SWV as well as a classic song by Steve Arrington.

Thanks Tiffany for tagging me. I really feel good about sharing these things. These are things I haven't thought about in a long time. I haven't decided who I am going to tag yet, but I will decide maybe tonight or tomorrow. Until then....... the Chronicles of Ehav Ever will continue.

3 comments:

tiffdjones said...

Wow, Ehav! So cool. Thank you for accepting the tag! I had no idea that deep down you are a musician/songwriter at heart! I went to Japan when I was 12 or 13. I've always had a "thing" for Japan, but not in a religious sense. I'm so saddened by the murder of your friend. I'm glad you bumped into each other that last week of his life. I'm sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing so much! I really enjoyed it. And I don't even think it's long-winded. I've had to explain some of mine. I could've avoided that by being as descriptive as you were :)

tami said...

WOW!! I really enjoyed reading this. My heart sank by the end of the 2nd fact....wasn't expecting that. My heart goes out to you for being able to share. The bonus was well worth it! I loved Jade back in the 90s. I can't believe that you mixed them up with SWV!! That was hilarious--my mouth just hung right open. When she turned around you should've shouted "Don't walk away, girl!!" LOL. Thanks 4 sharing. :)

Tami

Ehav Ever said...

Tiff - No problem Tiff. Thanks for tagging me. It was fun, and as I said many of things I haven't thought about in years.

In terms of the music thing, yeah I guess I a man of many hidden talents. :-) It is funny how I think back to how many people in KCMO were trying to break into music and the only one I know of to have made it was Jody Watly.

Another Japan person. I will have to forward to you some of the Japan Vlogs I have found on YouTube. Yes, Japan was my spot for so long. I went back in 2006 and it was ruff because there were no kosher resturants where I was. The only one I know of is in Tokyo. I was eating soybeans most of the time. I am going to have to do a Vlog about Japan. I only have a few pictures from when I was 10 though.

Yeah, Amen's death was a tough one. Most of the people in my life who pass away often do so when I haven't seen them in a long time. So it was good to have seen him one last time. It was tragic also because his father had passed away a few months earlier. Amen was always good with kids and he was working in a program on the Upper West Side to help kids. About a year before I left America his mother was trying to start a program to work with kids in his name. I have been planning to do a Vlog about him.

Thanks for your kind words. I always have a hard time with not being overly wordy. (smile)

Tami - Hey Tami. Thanks for your kind words. Yeah, as I mentioned to Tiff, Amen's death was something so unexpected and it hurt because both he and his father were both understanding of who I was becoming at that time. He was a really good friend and I had hoped that when I left Sigma he would carry on the things I was trying to do. I don't know if they ever caught the guy who murdered him.

That is a good come back on the Jade thing. I wish I had thought of that. I was so in love with the lead singer back then. Although I didn't like much of their music, they had about 3 songs I liked. ha ha!