Monday, January 12, 2009

Israel, Darfur, and Other Realities

People say all kind of stuff about us here in Israel, and Jews. There are those who claim we control the world's financial markets. (If this is true I haven't seen any financial benefit from it.) They say we are tring to hold back various ethnic groups. They say that we are the source of much of the world's problems. When I lived in the US this would affect me because being Jewish I knew these lies were similar to the lies I heard from racists about Africans and African Americans. I guess these are the kind of lies that make people sleep better a night. Maybe it is these kind of lies that make people justify a bad experience from a small number of individuals, becoming a systematic way of thinking from an entire group.

Now that I live in Israel, I don't care what lies people say about us Israelis/Jews. I stopped being an apologetic Jew for the Jews who do wrong. I stopped trying to make the world understand, because there are people just like myself around the world. Of course there are people who are not Jewish and have suffered more or just as much as we have. I hate how there are some many people who almost want to use suffereing as a compitition of who got it the worst. People can say all they want about us here in Israel, but since I actually live here I know the truth. I am not simply stating an opinion about things I hear about, or that a news agency told me. I am living the reality in the Middle East. There is a big difference. Here are some elements of those truths.


Israel That You Didn't Know


Darfur Children Start Over In Israeli Schools


The leader of the Sudan Liberation Movement


Interfaith Debate Between Jews and Muslims


Israelis Working to Help Darfur Refugees Stay in Israel


Darfur Rally in Jerusalem (2006)

The Chronicles of Ehav Ever will continue.

5 comments:

clnmike said...

There are bad people in every shade and land, no need to explain away their behavior.

Ehav Ever said...

I agree with you that bad can be found in any person willing to live such a way, or accept certain levels of evil into their hearts. Yet, of course there are people who often see bad in every person of a particular group simply because they have had a bad experience with 1 or 2 people. It is like a person who will say that all African Americans are this or that, based on their experience with a small fraction of African Americans. By like token I have come into contact with a number of people who believe that we Israelis are evil based on their experience, or so called experience with a small fraction of us. So I think it is more about expanding the horizons of otherwise rationale people. Also, often people form conclusions about things without a full view of the entire picture. That is all.

Reut R. Cohen said...

"I am not simply stating an opinion about things I hear about, or that a news agency told me. I am living the reality in the Middle East. There is a big difference."

That is very well-put. People can choose to believe lies, or they can actually educate themselves and visit the entire Middle Eastern region.

Anonymous said...

ironic speech by the arab girl at the end of the interfaith dialogue video. considering muhammed, their main prophet, was a pedofile, rapist, and a slave holder. triple whammy.

Ehav Ever said...

Hello Anon. These kind of interfaith dialogues are always a bit weird in that way. I wouldn't be able to attend one of those.