Monday, December 22, 2008

Much To Do: So Little Time

So I have been extremely busy these last few weeks with work and more work. I have so much that I want to either write about or do a video about, but I am trying to take my time with some things. So don't worry all loyal fans of the Chronicles I have not disappeared off the face of the earth. I have simply disappeared within myself, if that makes sense.

What's Nu? Beit El!

This past weekend I took part in a ZFA (Zionist Freedom Alliance) and Qumma Shabbaton in Beit El. For those don't know, Beit El is a religiously observant Israeli town and local council in the Benjamin region of Shomron, within the borders of the Matte Binyamin Regional Council.

It is located in the hills north of Jerusalem just to the east of al-Bireh. Its Pisgat Ya'acov neighborhood has a hilltop observatory with a commanding view of the surrounding hills where one may view as far away as the Tel Aviv area and even Mount Hermon on very clear days. It has a higher elevation than Jerusalem and has cool nights in the summer. Occasionally, it snows in the winter.


In Biblical times, Bethel was the site where Jacob slept and dreamt of the angels coming up and down a ladder. In that dream, described in the Torah portion of WaYetze (Gen. 28,10 - 32,3), G-d promises Jacob the "land on which you are lying," as well as "sea-ward, eastward, northward and towards the Negev." Beit El is the 10th-largest town in Judea/Samaria, with some 5,000 residents. Beit El also has a number of small factories such as tefillin factory, a winery, metal works, carpentry shops, a bakery and others. Beit El has a large percentage of immigrants from other countries and is also home to a unique community of Bnei Menashe from Manipur and Mizoram.


Being in Beit El was a really moving experience, and gave me some time to think about many of the things going on in Israel, and in my own life. This reawakening, so to speak, began before I even arrived in Beit El.


On Friday I went to Jerusalem to pick up a few Qumma people who were visiting from America to take them to Beit El, and on the way there we ended up taking a wrong turn. That wrong turn took us right into the entrance to Ramallah.


I will do a V-Log about this, but lets just say that the "kill all the Jews" and the "Jews smell like pigs" as well as more graphic graffitti was definitely a wake up call to the reality we Israelis live in. When we were outside of Israel they once shouted at our forefathers, Jews go back to Palestine and now that we are back in Israel they shout Jews get out of Palestine. Talk about being indecisive. It has been the Jewish reality for hundreds of years that we are often blamed for the world's problem, often in weird or far-fetched ways. Needless to say we made it out of Ramallah okay.

We Need to Talk

A few weeks ago I was on the phone with my mother and she told me, "We need to talk." What did she want to talk about you ask? She wanted to discuss what will happen with her estate when the day comes when she will pass away. Okay, no problem. My mother and I have always had a really open relationship and we can talk about almost anything. There was a time where this subject was off limits for me, not because of any fear about my mother one day passing away. I am quite aware and okay to deal with the reality that this will happen one day. The major problem before was that she has a lot of land that she had intended to have me assume control over to continue in her name. Yet, when it became clear that, by the hand of Hashem (G-d), I was never leaving Israel this became a tricky topic. So now she says that she wants to make sure that she has all her affairs in order.

Pressure

Right now I am under a lot of pressure, and I sometimes feel like I need to take a moment to myself. The pressure that I face is what I call, "Everybody wants a piece of the Ehav." Whether it is at work, in my social environment, or with family stuff I feel like people want so much from me and I try my hardest not to ask anyone for anything. Maybe one of my problems is that I sometimes need to be more assertive with my "no's" or better yet "HELL NO!" I don't know, but sometimes I kind of wish that people didn't expect so much from me. Especially since I sometimes feel like if people really knew my weaknesses they would be disappointed. Not that this matters, but I have never been in a situation where I could just simple go with the flow. Often I have had to live up to some high expectations, and I sometimes don't feel like I have what it takes to meet the expectations that people have for me. It is days like this that I wish my father was still alive to talk to me and help me through the pressure. If only there was some way I could feel like my father was there for me when I face off against my greatest challenges.


Dragonball Z - Gohan Defeats Cell


Best Quote Out There From Scrubs

As I get older I really miss him, even though I don't remember him. (He passed away when I was three.) Maybe I should just do a video about this.

Well, that's all for now. I will post a video soon to kind of gather all my thoughts. Until then the Chorincles of Ehav Ever will continue.


4 comments:

clnmike said...

Are you the only child?

Ehav Ever said...

Hey clnmike. Yes I am a solo child. My father, of blessed memory, passed away before he and my mother could have more children.

Miriam said...

HI Ehav,

How intense things must be these days!

I think for me, times like these are when I am MOST grateful for sincere friends. Its my "family" where I don't have family.

An inspiring story: when I lived in Chicago. I was really on my own. Taking paths and making decisions with no one to talk it over with. Thank God things worked out. But at a certain point I did cry out to God saying "Where are the Imahot??!!"

Some weeks later I met a family the mom's name was Yocheved (my name is miriam as you know) and she had daughters named Rachel leah, Rivkah, Sarach. Okay so Sarah isn't Sarach but, I thought that was pretty cool.

Miriam said...

Ramallah?!

Some guy got beatened there for making a wrong turn, I think.