Thursday, January 17, 2008

Archeological Discovery Bears Name of Biblical Family

Israeli National News
January 17th, 2008

Archaeologists have discovered a stone seal that includes the name of a family who were servants during the First Temple, were exiled to Babylonia and then returned to Jerusalem. Dr. Eliot Mazar, who was involved in the recent discovery that may have revealed King David's palace, announced the discovery and said, "One cannot help being astonished by the credibility of the biblical source as seen by the archaeological find."

Habbani Jews with a Torah Scroll (Five Books of Moses)

The family name "Temech" is engraved on the stone seal, which was found near the Dung Gate walls of the Old City. The Book of Nehemiah, which refers to the Temech family by name in chaper 7, states, "These are the children of the province, that went up out of the captivity, of those that had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away, and came again to Jerusalem and to Judah, every one unto his city."

Further information about the discovery can be found here.

Artist rendition of the First Israelite Temple in Jerusalem

2 comments:

Yobachi said...

I sort of the same as far as favoring the old; but I don't want to close myself off to all that's present and believe that only older is better because then you can miss out on good innovation.

I think their some self biased in everyone think things from their day is the best. And yes, culture and cultural arts are definitely becoming more watered down, so there is a lot of smoke to that fire; but we just have to realize that it's not always.

I look at some of the stuff that's before my time that older people say is so great, and I'm like "are you nuts"; and then some of it I love.

Again, I admit it's hard to find things to love in today's culture; but I just don't want to miss that next innovation being to stuck in my own rigidness to receive.

With that said, I don't care what nobody says, Reggaetone sucks!

Ehav Ever said...

Hey Yobachi,

I agree with you, but I have a somewhat different angle on it. Living in the Middle East we live our lives in a past tense, with all the realities of the present tense. Maybe tomorrow I will post more explaining my position on this.