Saturday, December 1, 2007

Black Blogging to End AIDS

I didn't get a chance to really write something in this. I was informed by Yobachi from Black Perspective that today is Black Blogging to End AIDS day. I will admit I don't think much about AIDS for several reasons. I don't know anyone who has had it. I don't see much of it in the news that I keep up with. So with that it becomes easy to forget that such a thing exists and that so many people are affected by it.

I do know that there is a lot of research on AIDS being done here in Israel and in the US.

Research from Israel and the United States has provided new information about HIV/AIDS

The video below was done by ABC 7, and I don't much buy into the idea that somehow AIDS is "Out of Control" in Black America. From what I understand AIDS is a problem EVERYWHERE. I also think that the idea that everything is out of control for Black America is a theme common to news channels. Yet, maybe videos like this need to exist to shock some sense into the system that there is a need for more research and funding for developing a cure for AIDS.

Though I can't relate to everything in this video, I think there is an important need for people who are heralded as leaders to step up to the plate and educate people. AIDS like any other disease is a reality that transcends just the areas of religious morality, but a social reality since people can get AIDS through a number of means beyond sexual relations. I also disagree with the idea that somehow AIDS is beyond the ability for religious reason to deal with. In Jewish tradition we are taught that EVERYTHING that can be dealt with in the human experience can be found in both the Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) and in what has been transmitted in the Jewish tradition.

As a Jew I see that there are two fronts that AIDS needs attention on. First the moral, but also on the social. It is inhuman and immoral for governments and people with the finances to refuse to fund research to ignore such troubles. It is also inhuman and immoral to allow droves of people to suffer under a burden without people of compassion rising up to help them.

At the same time I don't believe that the so called leaders of any society are the ones who can lead people to a so called promised land. People as individuals need to rise up and make a difference. Maybe, children need to be pushed to become doctors in order to fight AIDS. Maybe children need to be pushed into morality to fight AIDS. Maybe families need to work with communities to fight AIDS. Maybe people with AIDS need to be supported, no matter how they got it, because it is the human thing to do.

So for what it is accept this as something to consider.


5 comments:

Yobachi said...

Good Post Ehav. It is our moral responsibility to confront this pandemic, and anybody's religious beliefs that don't lead them to wanting to prevent and relieve God's children of this terrible scourge, is practicing false religion and they have an empty faith.

Ehav Ever said...

Hey Yobachi,

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. It is something that I need to pay more attention to.

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Ehav,

You are so right about how the media portrays African America as being out of control and not just on the disease front.

I really, really believe a lot if not most is propaganda. Everyone says that AIDS is out of control in Black America but what are the exact numbers? Why don't I ever see exact numbers? All the figures I see are estimates, why is that?


Thanks

Miriam said...

i admit i almost outright don't believe the media. If only mainstream media knew how impatient I was for an alternative to them.

Ehav Ever said...

Hey MDC,

Just look at it from this angle. Me and Miriam live in Israel. We get blamed for the entire world's problems.

Yeah, I think the media is shady and shallow. For all we know AIDS may be at the same level amongst AA's as it is with any other variety of ethnic groups. At the same time, my hope is that the media's overblown attention may serve as a catalyst to wake some people into action. Sometimes negative stimuli can do that.

I really believe that the goal of the media is to such people in and drain the life out of them.