Saturday, November 10, 2007

Day 7: The Affects of Positive Blogging on Me




So this is the last day of A Week of Positive Blogging. I posted this last synopsis late because of the Sabbath here in Israel, and also because I wanted to take time to reflect on the week. It has been a week that seems to have lasted an eternity, in a good way. Did anyone else feel like this week was joyfully long? I did and I bask in its glory. I feel motivated and inspired and here is why.

As I mentioned before, this week was inspired by a post by one of the people involved Mes Deux Cents. In her post Self Fulfilling Prophecy about a month ago concerning Bill Cosby's recent book she pointed out that maybe one of the problems of the world is that people always are talking about the negatives and never the positives that take place. So this sparked an idea. What if for a day I could convince people to blog about positive things? Yet, one day was really not enough so how about a week?

As I came up with the idea and developed the themes for each day two bloggers jumped on board immediately, Mes Deux Cents and Bohemian Hippie Chick. At the time I knew that I wanted this to spread, but I wasn't sure how far it would. Then all of sudden there was interest from Herve Kabla from France. He established a Facebook Group for the week and got a number of French speakers and readers on board. From there you all know what the affects have been, just read the list of bloggers that I know were involved.

I remember being amazed at how international this became. I live here in Israel, Here Kabla is in France, Mes Deux Cents, Bohemian Hippie Chick and others live in America. Diva lives in Japan, and there are several people who took part who are from Nigeria. There was even someone I noticed that I think is in the Philippines.

I hope that something that I have written has inspired you all and given you a glimpse of what it has been like to be me in the world that live in, and in my home here in Israel. I in turn have learned about you and your world, and I know that there are positive people who I can name in many different cities in the world. I was going to list the blogs that inspired me the most, but every blog I read inspired me in a different way. So instead all the blogs I know of that took part will continued to be listed on the right side of my blog. I saw blogs about a person who was influenced by a parent. There were several blogs by people who are teachers. There were extremely means of using $30 Million in 3 months to change the world. Several people told stories of their help to the homeless and how it in turned helped them.

I walk away from this believing that each of our posts have the ability to inspire and galvanize people. With the invention of the blog we now have the power to spark a revolution in how people see each other, and how we see ourselves. Maybe if we can inspire hope that will spread we can spark something in our readers. Now imagine if every blogger who took part in A Week of Positive Blogging were given $30 Million as was the Day 5 posting to change the world in 3 months with it. All of us have different ways we would go about it and it. Each of would hit a different area of need in the world. Now take away the $30 Million and imagine that each of us that took part in this week could inspire hope, give examples, etc. The possibilities are then infinite.

Some of us who took part are Jewish, some Christians, some Muslims, some Buddhist, and some none of the above or other. Yet, a simple act of blogging about positive things brought us together. We may not agree with each others day to day decisions, politics, or ethics but we all agreed that blogging about the positive parts of our lives was important enough to write when we could have been doing something else. We also chose to expand our horizons to blogs that we may never have even visited had it not been for this week. Even those who blogged for just one day blogged for the week, and for a lifetime in my eyes. Even those who did not directly blog for the week, but promoted it did a lot of work in my eyes.

I have been so excited and moved by this week that I wish I was able to get all of you who took part in the same room together. I would love to see the conversations, debates, discussions, and friendships that would start up by us simply talking and having coffee, tea, or dinner together. Maybe that is a future development that I could work on if I had $30 Million.

In the end I am proud to have met all of you who have taken part. I made a huge effort to read every blog that took part that I knew of. If I haven't seen your blog yet or commented I plan on doing that in the next two months as I try find the results of this. I have learned a lot from all of you. I am man enough to say that many of you have posted things that made me laugh, cry tears of joy, think, consider, smile, but most of all what I have read gives me hope. I walk away from A Week of Positive Blogging knowing, by YOUR example, that I can do something to change the world. I am a changed man based on this week. All of you have given me strength to do greater things with my blog and my life. At the same time this clip from the 1981 Excalibur has something to say about remembering our experience in this week and not forgetting the bonds created by it.



There has been some interest in doing this more often. All I can at the moment is we will see. It is definitely a concept that doesn't rest on me alone, and can be taken on by anyone willing to lead it up the next time there is a need. This started out of a need due to racism, anti-antisemitism, war, hatred, misunderstand, and lack of hope. The need for hope is paramount in this day and time we have the ability to help people find it.

For now, I need to spend the next few months taking care of some things at home and in my personal life. So for a few months my blogging will be less. Yet, I am moved by all of you to take what I learned from you beyond my blog out into the highways and by-ways of Israel. I live in a part of the world that needs hope, prayer, and faith. I live in a part of the world where war is only to breaths away, but everyday there is spiritual awakening that starting to take place bit by bit. So this week has strengthened my resolve to transform my home and my people.

So did A Week of Positive Blogging change the world? Who knows maybe in some way it did, but what we do with it in our blogs and outside of our blogs from this point forward could be the determining factor.



The following are a list of all of my postings during A Week of Positive Blogging.

Day 1: Israel My Favorite Place in Pictures


Day 2: Two Heroes Who Saved My Life


Day 3: West Papua Delegation Donates Gold for Holy Temple


Day 3: The Black Eyed Peas in Jerusalem


Day 4: $30 Million to Change the World


Day 5: So Who Have You Helped?


Day 6:Before I Breath My Last Breath


8 comments:

Mes Deux Cents said...

Hi Ehav,

Bravo! You were a great host for this week. Thanks for that. I know that you made me feel as though I was not alone in my posting daily. So thanks for stopping by and commenting.

Also I really enjoyed your posts. They all were so thoughtful and thought provoking.

If my previous post inspired this in some small way then that makes me proud. I enjoyed reading the postings from everyone who participated and will continue to visit many of those blogs.

Maybe once you have time we can plan a once a month day of positive blogging. I think that would be fun and over time hopefully even more people would become involved.

Thanks for all of your work!!!!

P.S. I'm a little sad that it's over!

Ehav Ever said...

Hey MDC,

Thank you for your kind words and for being the inspiration for this past week. First and foremost you deserve the props. It was your post that really gave me the idea so thank YOU!

Part of me is sad to seek the end. Yet, part of me is excited about what I gained from writing and also reading this past week. I thank you for your post which made me think and consider a number of things.

As I mentioned I wish there was a way to get everyone who took part in the same room together just to see what conversations and such would start. Maybe if one of us wins the lottery we can do that. (smile)

In any case thanks again.

Miriam said...

Ehav.......

Ehav....I don tried. lol

Okay I got a few posts in. It has been fun and I wished I could have done more.

Thanks both of you for the wonderful idea!

How has it effected me? Not sure. I know the week prior I was depressed and not getting any happier. Now i'm fine. Can't say it was from the positive blogging, but I'm grateful non the less.

Makeda42/EzekielsDaughter said...

It has been interesting week. A simple idea provoked real thoughts and feelings from people. Thanks for the challenge.

Lisa said...

Thanks so much for jump starting this whole thing! It has really given me a boost. . . a well-needed boost. I hope your break isn't too long because I look forward to reading your blog more often.

Shelly said...

This week of blogging has been such a beautiful thing to witness! I am GUTTED that I didn't have the time to do more than a couple of posts but it was all good nonetheless...

Thank you Ehav for creating the momentum for this endeavour... A wonderful effort from all involved and I look forward to doing it all again soon :-))

Ehav Ever said...

I am glad that you all got something out of last week. I also learned a lot, and it was my pleasure to put this together. As Makeda said a simply idea, and simple post started last week.

Fred said...

Hello - I'm sorry I didn't find out about this earlier. (In case you are interested, I did so because Omodudu left a comment on this interesting post about Franco, which was picked up by Global Voices.)

Anyway, I think it's a great idea, and I do believe that to a certain extent at least, where you look is where you go. I wonder how many people find it seems easier to make bleak pronouncements while keeping hopes and ideals to themselves?

At any rate, it's good to remind bloggers of their special freedom to choose what to mention and how to talk about it. And of course this is applicable all the time - your Week of Positive Blogging was just an effective way to challenge more people - now including me - to think about it.