Sunday, October 14, 2007

Everbody Likes Kung Fu Fighting

When I was a kid some of friends were taking martial arts or boxing. We used to have martial arts and boxing matches at home. Whenever we would play it would look exactly like this.

Siunin Wong Fei-hung tsi titmalau - Iron Monkey (1993)


Maybe not exactly, we did more flying and we spoke less Cantonese. I remember one kid named Ron Bailey who would always talk about how tough he was and how he could beat anyone. Then when when we would spare he would always be the first to cry. All we had to do was pretty much take him down to the floor and sit on him. He would then cry out, "I can't breath! I can't breath!" My favorite move was like the Shaolin Monk's in this video the Wonder Palm of Shaolin. My move of course was not from Shaolin so it was more like the Wonder Palm of 73rd Street and Norton.

Back then USA channel used to play Kung Fu theatre on Sundays. We loved watching how weird the dubbing was in those movies. It seemed like they always had the same people doing the voices for the dubbing, and there was a lot of posturing and talking in the film before and during a fight.

3 comments:

Bohemian Hippie Chick said...

Hmmm...I don't know how I missed this post. I'm thinking that my eyes don't work so well in the mornings! ;)

I remember watching Kung Fu theater every Saturday when I was a little kid in Jersey. Martial Arts movies, or "Kung Fu Flicks", as we called them were always shown at our local movie theater. We would walk home after the movies and all of the guys would re-enact the fight scenes. They all thought they were Shaolin Monks...of course the girls thought they were wacky!

Hmmm...maybe I should go to my own blog and reminisce!

jon said...

I love Iron Monkey and I think I'll put it on tonight. What a treat that movie was. :D

jon said...

I love Iron Monkey! It's one of my favorite Kung Fu films. I think I'll watch it tonight! Have a great day my friend. Jon