Tuesday, August 7, 2007

My First Week At Work In Israel

This has been a great week. I started work on Sunday, and though my training is going slow I feel really good of where I can go with this job if I apply myself. I also got a company car today and it is really nice. One of the things that has been mentioned to me is that it is not normal for people to move to Israel and already have a job. Normally, when people move here they aren't working for about 6 or 7 months. Also, what I am getting paid is good by Israeli standards. I may now have even found a place near my cousins outside of Jerusalem. With all of this coming together I have to say that God really has provided some big time blessings. I feel really inspired to do my best in my job and with my personal life.

Maale Adumim, Israel (Should I live here?)

Every day here has been really interesting and I have come across some really nice people. Some of my experience has been the reverse of what most people say about Israel. The job, the car, and maybe finding a place in an area with a Yemenite Jewish community have been one thing. Yet, I also like the fact that when I speak only in Hebrew people think I was born here. A deceased friend of mine once told me when he moved here and got his Israeli ID that he wished that the Temple was still standing in Jerusalem so he could bring an offering. I have felt that way for the past few few weeks like if the Temple was still in Jerusalem I would love to show God how grateful I am to the fact that he has paved the way for my living here. This has only been a few weeks, and there will be struggles, but I know that the stuggles I had before I came here were preparing me for this moment.

My plan is to do my best at my job, and really learn all I can. Yet, there is something more important that I need to do. Before I left New York, my Yemenite Mori (i.e. my Teacher/Rabbi) from Natanya, Israel told me the following.

Ehav, it is not easy in Israel. The Bible tells us the being in Israel comes with a lot of trials. There are a lot of Americans who come to Israel and they become disappointed. When you get to Israel you are going to need to pray. You are going to need to learn Torah (the Bible), and you are going to need to learn Halakhah (Jewish traditions). I hope that Hashem (God) will bless you.

תהלים קכב א-ב
שמחתי באומרים לי בית ה נלך
עמדות היו רגלים בשעריך ירושלם

Psalm 122:1-2 (Translation)
"I was excited when they said to me: to the house of Hashem (the Lord) let us go. Our feet they are standing in your gates Jerusalem."

Ehav Praying at the Kotel (Western Wall) Jerusalem


The Kotel (Western Wall) Jerusalem

His words have stayed with me and when I first got here, while I wasn't yet working I prayed at the Kotel i.e. the Western Wall as much as I could. I pray with the Yemenite synagogue here in Maale Adumim every Shabbat. I am working at learning Tanakh (Hebrew Bible) everyday. I am here not only for myself, but I am also here for my late father and my late grandmother. I told my grandmother Elnora Lyons-Ever that one day I planned on going to Jerusalem and to learn Hebrew. She quietly said to me, I wish I could have done that. Maybe, by me being here she got that opportunity on some level.

View of Old City Jerusalem walls from Yaffo Street


Yaffo Gate to Old City Jerusalem

4 comments:

Miriam said...

yay, Ehav!!!!!

Tr8erGirl said...

Mazel tov! I'm glad things are going well! Very exciting! Keep it up! Great pics too!

HolyCityPrayer said...

Hey Ehav, Welcome to Israel! Especially Maale Adumim. Who is your relative here?
Be in touch, your friend from MA,
Gidon Ariel
gidon.ariel at gmail

diva said...

That was a wonderful post. I think you are bringing your ancestors with you to Israel.
I hope the new job goes well. That is so wonderful. I look forward to reading more.