Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Searching for the Past: Part 1

A few years when my grandmother Elnora Lyons-Ever z"l passed away I began to wonder who I was and my own mortality became overwhelming apparent to me. I realized that I really didn't know much about myself or my family. So over the last four to five years I have been researching my family history and their stories. Below are two of the earliest paintings/photos that I found in the search.

Richard Lang - My Great Great Grandfather painted 1870 (Father's Side)

Richard Lang is the father of my Great Grandmother Huldah Lang-Lyons. Huldah Lang-Lyons was the mother of my grandmother Elnora Lyons-Ever. Elnora Lyons-Ever was my father's mother. Richard Lang's father owned a large tract of land in North Texas, which was split between all of his children. The Lang originated from some of the early Jewish Spanish and German families who made their way into the region in the 1800's. It is believed that Richard Lang's wife was German according to one family account. Richard Lang worked with his family in the herding business. He would take the cattle between Texas and Kansas City, MO.


Charles Knoble - My Great Great Grandfather circa 1890's (Mother's Side)

Charles Knoble is through the mother of my mother. Charles Knoble was mixed French and from some unknown part of West Africa. Charles Knoble left home on the east coast when he was 12 years old, and made a life for himself between Louisiana and Texas. He married a woman who, according to my grandmother was from India, but she may have been simply been Native American. His wife was known by the name Lettie Hayes-Knoble. My grandmother described Letty Hayes as very dark brown with extremely long dark black hair. Charles Knoble died when my grandmother was 10 years old, but he raised her like she was his daughter because her father has passed away.

These two photos were only the tip of the ice berg in what I have been finding out about my family. More to come later.

5 comments:

Miriam said...

Ehav,

You've been tagged! Please see my blog for more details...

Lori said...

I love old family pictures and I share your interest in genealogy.

Thus far, the most fascinating thing I've discovered in researching my own family's history is a great-great grandfather, an African American who participated in the Civil War. But get this--he served under his master for the Confederacy.

His name was Charlie Cannon.
I discovered his pension papers by accident, while trying to find info on a great-great grandfather who was said to have served in the Union Army. Never found the latter.

It just so happened that my grandmother shared a great deal of our family's history with me before she died. I made several recordings with her. In those recordings she mentioned her grandfather and grandmother, Charlie and Margaret Cannon.

Unfortunately, my grandmother passed before I was able to share my findings with her. She would have been tickled.

Ehav Ever said...

Hello Lori,

That is really interesting the information you found on your family. Actually, what you found about Great Great Grand-Father fighter for the confederacy is not that strange. There were a number of African American enslaved and free who did so. There was also a number of free African Americans who onwed slaves. History is an interesting thing, and often more complex than is often taught.

One of the things I have been working on for the book I have been writing is an article about Free African Americans also African Americans of mixed descent.

Lori said...

Hey Again,
Yes, I already knew about the participation of African Americans in the Civil War and on both sides. But I had no clue anyone in my own family (African American) had served under the Confederacy. Also, I think there is still considerable debate about whether or not Blacks in the Confederacy were allowed to serve as actual soldiers with weapons (smile).

Ehav Ever said...

Based on the number of people who lost their lives because of the Civil War, I think that all of the soldiers were being used as weapons.