Thursday, June 21, 2007

Book Review: Black Rednecks and White Liberals


Black Rednecks and White Liberals
by Thomas Sowell

I picked this book up when I happened to be at a book store in Texas. Of course the title was very flashy and I decided that I needed to find out what this book was about. What I found was this book was very interesting in its approach to several topics of importance to me. As someone who is Jewish and African American, this book has several articles that are pertinent to me personally.

Thomas Sowell does a wonderful job of providing a balanced approach to topics such as, "Why are Jews hated" and is that hate generic in nature. He also covers the history of what he calls Black Rednecks, i.e. an attitude of ghetto-ness in certain inner cities blacks. One of his most controversial will can be the real history of slavery.

All and all, I found this book to be well researched and an attempt at a balanced approach to the topics by looking at it from both human and multiple standpoints. It may be a difficult read for some and it may be better to read in sections at a time. Yet, I think this book should be a part of discussions in the cultural and educational segments of American society. I would really say this book is 4 and half stars.‎

No comments: