Monday, April 30, 2007

Ancient Jewish Music: The Jews of Yemen Part 1

Often when people non-Jewish think of Jews they normally think of only the Jews of Northern and Eastern European descent. This is unfortunately also true of many Western Jews who have never been to Israel or New York. Jews were scattered all over the world when the Babylonians, Assyrians, Romans, Crusaders, etc. invaded Israel. Jews ended up all over the Middle East, Asia, Africa, and Europe.

I am a part of the Yemenite Jewish community even though I am part Sephardic Jewish and also part African American. In order to break down the Western myth that Jews are only "white" the following video is a good introduction to one of the most ancient Jewish communities.

2 comments:

Sammish said...

Shalom Ehav,

I was wondering if you can help me with one your your youtube entry describing Tifereth Teiman at Maale Adummim (actually there was another man describing the place).

What I was very mesmerized with was the chanting when the clip starts. It was so beautiful. I want to know who is singing the tune and the choir too. The song starts with some supersceding photos of Beautiful Yemeni jews. Unfortunatly the singing when the guy starts talking hebrew which I cannot understand very well.

I am an american born in French Algeria (1955) from Moroccan Berber and Algerian ancestry, with some crypto-jewish and Arabic flavor.

If you can help me know who were the singers of that beautiful singing capella I would greatly appreciate it.

I will check this site in a few days. Thanks and May God bless all of you in Israel.

Ehav Ever said...

Hello Sammish,

Thank you for checking out my blog and for your kind words. That is interesting about your background. I have been doing some research into Amazigh culture. I am hoping to do a video about Jewish migration into West Africa.

The chanting in the beginning of the video about Tifereth Teiman is by Aharon Amron. It is a song for the Sabbath. You can find the CD it is from here

Thank you for your kind words and keep in touch.